Tuesday, 20 December 2011

The earliest console I remember is an amiga which was my dads, with games on floppy discs such as noddy and pac man,also if I remember correctly the amiga had a keyboard and a joystick instead of the conventional controllers we are used to in the present. The next console I played was the sega Saturn which had an array of great games some of my personal favourites being duke nukem 3d, exhumed and bug.

 The Saturn was also the first time I remember seeing an analogue stick on a controller as you could buy a better controller than the ones that came with the console, although it only featured one stick not two. The first game system that was actually my own was a neo geo, with the great side scrolling shooter metal slug although I was soon advised to trade in my neo geo and get a gameboy because they were stopping production of neo geo games. With the arrival of the game boy came probably one of the most popular handheld game series, pokemon. Me and my brother spent many hours trying to catch em all eventually my brother got all 150 after getting me to trade all the pokemon not available on the blue version with my red version.


The playstation was the next console that I acquired with one of my favourite platformers of all time, Crash Bandicoot, this has to be one of my most memorable games, and I remember spending the majority of Christmas day playing it. When first released the ps1 didn’t have analogue sticks however at some point they released controllers with two analogue sticks which is now the staple setup for 2 of the 3 current generation consoles.The playstation 2 was the next step for me instead of the xbox, the first two games I got for the ps2 was grand theft auto 3 and crash bandicoot, my favourite games on the ps2 has to be grand theft auto san andreas, not only because of the free roam aspect but for the things you could do outside of mission e.g eat, hair cut, modify cars and fly planes this game is the highlight of the ps2.


 Being a fan super Mario I got myself a Nintendo game cube for games like super Mario sunshine and super smash bros melee and not for getting Luigi’s mansion, although gamecube games were more casual in terms of genre than the ps2 and xbox it still had a fair few great games and some that were only available on the gamecube.

After much thought about whether to get a playstation 3 or the xbox 360 I purchased an xbox because the majority of my friends had one already, the 360 was the first time I played  a game online, I really liked the interactivity of being able to play and talk with you friends at the same time, I remember spending many hours playing Call of Duty 4. I currently still have my orignal xbox 360, I only say that because they have been renound for “dying” or getting the “red ring of death” but mine is still going strong although the newer 360’s are a lot better with a fan on the top and touch buttons. Although its my dads I will mention “I” have a wii although I haven’t played it much although Nintendo consoles will always have games for their console only such as Mario, sonic and Zelda franchises although im really not fussed about the motion controllers and prefer a proper controller. Looking into the future of games I would like to see a vast improvement on in game graphics, although there are games that are pushing the boundaries such as crisis 2 and battlefield 3 I would love to see a game look as good as a cutscene, for example in assassins creed revalations it has a great cutscene near the beginning of the game however from then on they use the in game graphics. From starting to learn 3ds max I understand how hard it is to get realistic looking assets and environments therefore its hard to say if I will ever see the standard of graphics I aspire to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment